Disclaimer: I have made this blog for the intent to show loved ones what we've been up to lately. I also want to one day print it out and have it as a journal for the kids. I am not doing this to brag at all. I just thought this is a great way for you all to see what life's been like for us and what we've been doing. I love to see other people's blogs and see their pictures and see what they've been up to. That's all I'm doing here. Thank you!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Spencer's first fillings

We all went in recently to the dentist for our annual check-ups. We all had x-rays taken and cleanings, I got a perfect score (not a surprise, really...I really take care of my teeth, brush them faithfully once a month, sometimes twice on a good month) and Jason and Spencer had some cavities. Once I realized that we were going to have to take Spencer in....I was freaking out. This was the kid that went in for immunizations and it took 4 people to hold him down and still it took more than once to poke him because he would bend the needle. So I tried preparing the dentist beforehand telling him what I thought it was going to be like. And the dentist says, "Oh, don't worry about it, just don't tell him anything and we will be just fine". Before we left the dentist told Spencer that he needed to come back because he had some small sugar bugs that needed to get taken care of and that he was going to be fine. So we went home and I stressed like crazy for the day to happen.


So the day came and Jason had to work so my mom watched the other kids for me and we went in. Spencer totally surprised me. HE went in and sat in the chair like an adult. He opened his mouth like an alligator and everything went perfect. I was in total awe. I kept texting Jason keeping him informed of the progress and after Spencer was all numbed up and the doctor was starting, in walked Jason to be there with us. We really were prepared for the worst and hoped for the best.

Spencer was supposed to raise his hand if he needed them to stop for any reason. He did just that. One time he held up his hand and they took all the instruments out of his mouth and asked him what was wrong and Spencer says, "I just have a quick question to ask you." He had the ladies laughing, they couldn't believe how well he was taking it all. He didn't wince once and was a real trooper through the whole thing.
The point in which I was really nervous is if Spencer saw the needle that the numbing stuff was in, that was gonna be the end, but the assistants knew where to point the light barely in his eyes so he would close them at that point. I think they've done this before.....you know.

We had a little 6 yr old little boy in the chair next to us that was freaking out just getting x-rays taken and Spencer says to me, "Mom, should I go tell him it's really no big deal". I laughed.



He thought his lip was huge ( you know when your mouth is numb, it really feels like it must be a balloon) so they gave him a mirror to look at it and he kept touching it and laughing. He thought it felt so wierd.

This is him relaxing waiting for the dentist to come in and while his cheek and lip were getting all numb. I wish I was that chill when I'm in that chair. That's not the case with me. I'm a basketcase.


When the dentist came and saw how chill Spencer was, he made me eat my words. He said, "I told you so", and he was right. He was so good with him. He showed Spencer all the tools he was going to use on him and turned them on and had him hold them while they were on. He was talking to Spencer the whole time making him laugh and totally reassuring him. At the end he said, " You're so good that maybe you can be a dentist when you grow up, would you like that", Spencer said that'd be awesome and he hasn't stopped talking about that since. He has been saying since he was little that he wants to be a doctor when he grows up so who knows.


All in all, it went perfectly. The dentist was so impressed with how well he did and he wishes all his patients were that well behaved. The assistants said they loved him and wanted to laugh so many times. It was great to have Jason surprise us and be there. And Spencer's first experience with fillings went better than ever. Now he is so excited to go back next month to do it all over again on the other side. I know, I need to start brushing his teeth now, maybe I should invest in a toothbrush for my kids maybe.....or maybe not. Toothbrushes are so overrated. Anyways, until next month, we shall see how that appointment goes. We will cross our fingers it goes as well as this time.

1 comment:

Carolynn said...

We have the same dentist! He is pretty awesome! I love the staff there too. Glad things went better with Spencer than you thought. That's always a plus! :)